On Tuesday, April 24th (2012) Sauza held a tequila tasting a Reposado on Ossington.
Mike McLean lead a tasting of a number of brands, including – Sauza Gold and Silver, Hornitos Reposado, and Tres Generaciones.
– Ocean Wise and the Vancouver Aquarium held an event at Luma. ‘Tides of Change,’ as it was titled, featured ocean-friendly dishes prepared by executive chef Jason Bangerter.
– Ellen Degeneres’ DJ Tony made his rounds in Toronto – first, hosting an event at Bar Chef and then working a gig at Maison Mercer.
– The Red Hot Chili Peppers performed at the Air Canada Centre for the first time since 2006.
– The Toronto Jewish Film Festival celebrates its 20th anniversary. The festival runs from May 3rd through the 13th.
– Michaëlle Jean featured at the National Youth Arts Week launch party.
– Emcee Jully Black helps kick off TFI 25 on Thursday. Tickets for the ROM event are still on sale – $100/per.
– Friday Night Live @ROM is celebrating TFI 25 with host Ben Barry.
– Hope Charity Gala takes place on Friday, May 4th at Princess Margaret Hospital.
– America’s Next Top Model is hosting a ‘live consumer event’ in Toronto.
– The Avengers premiered in Toronto.
– TORO Magazine will celebrate Cinco De Mayo on May 5th with an event at Monarch Tavern.
– Gourmet burger spot ‘The Works‘ is holding a media preview event tomorrow. The restaurant is set to open soon in the Danforth neighbourhood.
– Charles Khabouth‘s Casa Loma condo is featured in Toronto Life
– The late Phil Hartman earns a star on Canada’s Walk of Fame.
Food & Drink
– Now Open: The Bellwoods Brewery
– Vacay.ca names Canada’s best restaurants; Toronto’s Black Hoof earns fourth place nod.
On Thursday, April 19th (2012), Sharp held their SS ’12 Book For Men launch at Arcadian Loft.
The event, which took place in the financial district, featured a scotch sampling, 911 Porsche display, and a number of timepiece presentations.
Catering on this eve was fantastic – as prepared by Oliver & Bonacini.
In attendance: Glen Baxter, Candice Chan & Alison Slight, Amanda Lew Kee, Ron White, Shawn Hewson, Jay Strut, Kevin Naulls, and Fraser Abe.
The event was crafted by CANDICE&ALISON luxury event management.
On Friday, April 13th (2012), La Carnita presented ‘Uno’ at Evergreen Brickworks.
La Carnita, purveyors of Mexican-inspired street food, teamed a pop-up taqueria and street art exhibit that featured more than 20 artists.
Among the chefs involved in this eve: Andrew Richmond (La Carnita), Steve Gonzales (Top Chef Season 1), Scott Vivian (Beast Restaurant), Bertrand Alepee (Group of Seven & Tempered Chef), Guy Rawlings (Bellwoods Brewery).
Artists on this eve including Mike Giant, Dave Glantz, Matt Barnes, and Brian Mendoza, to name a few.
Other notable names in attendance: Amanda Alvaro, Philip Sparks & Andrew Sardone, and Richard Peddie.
Food & Drink
On Wednesday, March 18 (2012), U.K.-based Mr and Mrs Smith held a Canadian launch event at Spoke Club.
The hotel booking and review service treated guests to pop up accommodations on Spoke’s lower levels, which included a number of staffer models in bath robes for bed-side photo opps.
In attendance: Ainsley Kerr, Leesa Butler & Jake Gold, Arlene Dickinson, Tanya Kim, Cory Vitiello, Melissa Grelo, Sarah Richardson, and Tommy Smythe.
The evening was hosted by Marcello Cabezas.
On Thursday, April 12 (2012), Jerry Seinfeld and Will Arnett helped raise $3M for Toronto East General’s (TEG) ‘Laughter Is The Best Medicine.’
The event, which drew over 1500 guests, took place at the Allstream Centre in Exhibition Place.
“Laughter is the best medicine? I thought medicine was the best medicine,” quipped Arnett, who served as the evening’s Master of Ceremonies.
“I always love coming Toronto, where there’s no shortage of humour. It was a true pleasure to be able to come north this time to support such a worthy charity as the Toronto East General Hospital. They do fantastic work,” said Seinfeld.
Other notable names in attendance: Amy Poehler, Joe Mimran & Kimberly Newport-Mimran, Brian Burke, Julian Fantino, Bill Blair, Doug Ford, Peter and Diana Thomson, James and Alexandra Arnett, the Kimsa family, the Jackman family, singer Matt Dusk, Brad Boyes, Adam Lind, and Eric Lindros.
Event sponsors included: BMO Financial Group, TD Bank, Telus, and BMW.
Media was coordinated by Candice Best.
On Thursday, March 29 (2012) Street Haven at the Crossroads held its first annual ‘Gala of Light’ fundraiser at Easy & The Fifth.
The evening was hosted by Sarah Taylor and Cabbie Richards and featured a silent auction in support of Street Haven, which in the past year has provided services to 6,000 women in need.
The event also featured music buy Ysovani and DJ Lissa Monet.
On Wednesday, March 28th (2012), Blowfish’s Bay Street location celebrated its one year anniversary.
Serving a sample-sized variety of its eats, the restaurant welcomed guests including Pay Chen, Candice Chan, Alison Slight, and Gail McInnes. Blowfish’s Zark Fatah was also in attendance.
The evening was organized by Candice Best and transportation was provided by Uber (which was thoroughly enjoyed).
On Monday, April 2nd (2012), Youth Employment Services (YES) and the Toronto Fashion Incubator (TFI) held the third annual Passion For Fashion Awards.
TFI’s Exhibition offices played host to the awards, which recognize achievements in fashion design and fashion entrepreneurship.
Winners on this eve included:
Designer David Dixon and TFI’s Susan Langdon were also on hand.
The evening was coordinated by Gail McInnes.