What a year! With well over 100 parties, galas, openings, and fundraisers listed on the C Daily, we’ve looked at the numbers (pageviews via Google Analytics) and created a list of the 10 most popular parties of 2013. As usual, the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) was a hot topic in September – with three parties cracking our top 10. Second to TIFF, Toronto Life proved their invites are not-to-be-ignored, with two soirees in the top 10.
A big thank you to the C Daily’s cast of characters who so beautifully captured another year of Toronto’s social life – Tara Noelle, Tyler Rumi, Mauricio Calero, and Becca Lemire.
- Ryan Emberley
1. Beverley Hotel Grand Opening. On Wednesday, September 4th, The Beverley Hotel held a grand opening celebration at its location on Queen St. W. While not a part of TIFF, the Beverley’s opening party certainly benefited from ample festival buzz. In attendance: Kardinal Offishall.
2. Toronto Life Hosts TIFF’s ‘Most Stylish.’ On Thursday, September 5th, Toronto Life celebrated the third fall edition of its Stylebook with an event at Shangri-La Toronto. Held on the opening night of TIFF, the event was heavy on Toronto scenesters but also managed to draw Jake Gyllenhaal, who stopped in for a quick visit. Also in attendance: Megan Heffern, Gabrielle Miller, and Lauren Collins – among others.
3. Four Seasons Toronto Celebrates One Year. On Tuesday, October 15th, The new Four Seasons Hotel Toronto celebrated its first anniversary. The event was held at the Four Seasons’ third floor ‘Aria’ event space. In attendance: Jeanne Beker, Halla Rafati, Paul Godfrey, Mary Symons, and Paul Venoit – among others.
4. Toronto Life Celebrates Its ‘Most Influential.’ On Thursday, November 7th, Toronto Life launched its ‘Most Influential’ edition with an event at the Ritz-Carlton. The list is an annual ranking of Toronto’s definitive power list. More than 400 guests showed up for the event, including Toronto Life publisher David Hamilton and editor Sarah Fulford. Also in attendance: Lainey Lui, Doug Holyday, Norm Kelly, Adam Vaughan, Melissa Grelo, Aliya-Jasmine Sovani, and Liza Fromer.
5. Artbound’s ‘The pARTy.’ On Friday, September 20th, Artbound threw its annual fundraising fete ‘The pARTy,’ this year 90210-themed and held at Evergreen Brickworks. The event featured Naughty by Nature as its headlining musical act. Artbound is a nonprofit volunteer initiative that harnesses the power of the arts in support of Free The Children. Also in attendance: David Foster, Jacob Artist (Glee), Gigi Hadid, Kardinal Offishall, Aliya-Jasmine Sovani, Melissa Grelo, Tanya Kim, and the cast of Degrassi.
6. Operanation 10: A Night of Temptation. On Thursday, October 24th, the Canadian Opera Company (COC) held its annual fundraiser Operanation, this year dubbed ‘A Night of Temptation,’ at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts. The evening featured a VIP dinner and musical performances by Ambur Braid and the Sam Roberts Band. Also in attendance: Suzanne Rogers, Glenn & David Dixon, Jeremy Laing, and Stacey McKenzie.
7. Blue is the Warmest Colour Afterparty. On Thursday, September 5th, Blue is the Warmest Colour held its TIFF afterparty at the Thompson Hotel. The event, sponsored by Disaronno and INTERVIEW Magazine, featured the attendance of the film’s two stars – Léa Seydoux and Adèle Exarchopoulos. Also in attendance: Jian Ghomeshi and Shinan Govani.
8. amfAR Inspiration Gala. On Sunday, September 8th, amfAR held its annual TIFF gala, this year dubbed the ‘Inspiration Gala,’ at The Carlu. The black-tie affair featured a fashion presentation by Marc Jacobs and a musical performance by Alan Cumming, Beth Ditto, and Gossip. Also in attendance: Hilary Swank (honorary chair), Adrien Brody, and Maria Bello
9. Celebrating 10 years of Robert Rodriguez at TNT. On Tuesday, September 24th, TNT celebrated the 10th anniversary of Robert Rodriguez’s namesake collection at its flagship location in Yorkville. In attendance: Robert Rodriguez, Suzanne Rogers, Jenna Bitove, Ainsley Kerr, Jaclyn Genovese, Gail McInnes, and Arie Assaraf – among others.
10. Eric S. Margolis Foundation Launch Event. On Tuesday, June 11th, The Eric S. Margolis Family Foundation held a launch event at Shangri-La Toronto. The Margolis Foundation was established to support causes related to animals, humanity and nature. On this eve, the focus was on animals – with a special presentation by Rob Brandford on behalf of the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. A patron of the Sheldrick Trust, Kristin Davis (Sex and the City) was on hand to support the cause. Also in attendance: Eric and Dana Margolis, Conrad Black, Barbara Amiel, Mary Symons, and Tanya Kim.